🌎 Global & Companies
Toyota's CEO Akio Toyoda says going all-EV could cost Japan millions of jobs, in what looks like his latest attempt to slow down the fast EV transition. Here's the reasoning (link):
"In achieving carbon neutrality, the enemy is carbon dioxide, not internal combustion. To reduce carbon dioxide emissions, it is necessary to have practical and sustainable initiatives that are in line with different situations in various countries and regions."
Toyoda obviously pushes for hybrids as a solution, rather than EVs. At least for the time being. Do you think he is right in trying to slow down the exponential growth of the EV industry for the sake of what seems to be reasoned as a smaller and steadier transition process?
Tesla's demand is now high enough that the company scrapped its referral program (link). On a related note: The Kilowatts have documented their painful journey of waiting for delivery of the Tesla Model S.
The estimated delivery time has jumped around for a while from September 22nd to now between Dec 13th and January 2nd. This is a wild rollercoaster ride to put your customers through (link).
The new orders of Model 3 SR+ estimated US delivery times are now March 2022.
• The student team of the Eindhoven University of Technology unveiled a solar-powered mobile home called Stella Vita, capable of traveling up to 730km (453mi) a day and takes 2-3 days to recharge fully with its 17.5 sq meter solar panels. (link)
Connection: This is also where the Lightyear One got its start from. Now that's what I'd call a real innovation hub.
• All new London buses will be zero-emission from now on. The target of a 100% zero-emission bus fleet was brought forward to 2034 from 2037, possibly 2030 (link). Lovely.
• A nice video of Amazon employees checking out the new electric delivery vans (which are made by Rivian):
• Norway has the fossil-ban set for 2025, but according to this analysis, it may happen already in April 2022. (link)
• GM revealed three new Ultium Drive EV motors (link).
📚 OUR UNIVERSE:
📈 EV Stock Tracker with 118 EV stocks.
🗯️ EV Universe Twitter with 1,470 tweets. Sandy Munro follows us now, FYI.
📚 EV industry² newsletter (OPT-IN ONLY) for the extra-detailed zap juice.
📗 EV Universe Blog with hundreds of our past articles and newsletters.
🎙️ EV Universe Pod with two podcast episodes so far.
📹EV Universe Youtube channel with 7 videos.
- The Cadillac Lyriq 2023 Debut Edition sold out in 19 minutes. (link) Feeling Déjà vu? Yeah, me too. It looks to be a standard FOMO-creator these days, or just a rather big legacy miscalculation of the real EV demand.
- A big milestone: ElectraMeccanica delivered the first three of the SOLO EV, a three-wheeled electric vehicle.
- Ford recalls 5,000 Mach-E in Canada over a possibly loose windshield and panoramic glass on the roof. So far it's not sure if the recalls will spread to US models too, as they are made in the same Mexican plants.
- The irony of it: In Dec 2020, Ford's head of electric vehicles, Darren Palmer. hinted at Tesla, saying the new Mustang Mach-E's 'roof doesn't come off'. (link)
🔋 Battery, Mining and ♻ Recycling
- ♻ Ford invests $50M in Redwood Materials and the companies partner up for closed-loop recycling (and I assume for RM to provide some batteries to Ford in the future). (link)
Ford, whatever happens to its EV transition, seems to be making solid investments in the EV industry.
- ♻ Battery Resourcers, a startup that’s developing a closed-loop approach to lithium-ion battery materials, raised $70 million to scale its commercial operations across two continents. Led by Hitachi Ventures (link).
- American Battery Technology Company (ABTC, used to be ABML), adds nickel and cobalt extraction development to its portfolio via a partnership with GEMC, in addition to lithium from Nevada (link).
- ⚒️ Technical and battery-grade lithium carbonate prices increased by more than 20% in the first two weeks of September and are now up 188.9% and 215% respectively in the Chinese domestic market this year. Via Benchmark Minerals (link)
- 🔋 Adamas Intelligence released a great free report on "State of Charge: EVs, Batteries and Battery Materials" of the first half of 2021. Downloadable here: (link) Here are a few findings:
- In 2021 H1 global passenger EV registrations grew by 109% versus the same period the year prior, amounting to 4.16 million units versus 1.99 million units in 2020 H1.
- Just 7 cell suppliers (CATL, LG Energy Solution, Panasonic, Samsung SDI, BYD, SK Innovation, and CALB) were collectively responsible for more than 90% of all battery capacity and battery metals deployed onto roads globally.
- 💥 Here's GM's press release of an action plan regarding the Bolt EV battery recall and production: (link). The LG battery plants have resumed production.
👀 Watch this:
Alex on Autos gives a full review of the Ford F-150 Lightning. Most detailed review of the truck I've seen so far:
MotorTrends Rivian R1T adventures are now on video. Leg 1 of 5 here, the rest will drop every Wednesday. I hope there will be more off-road clips and less talking.
Some nice visuals from BYD, introducing the latest BYD e-platform 3.0. Works as a good explainer too:
💚 EV Community effort
A grand community effort from some of the Tesla Twitter people: K10, Warren, Omar, and Steve ride under the tag #Inspiration420 on Autopilot across America. The goal is to raise money for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital battling childhood cancer.
You can donate here (link).
🕵️ The spies
The new Ioniq 6 was spotted, still under heavy camo. I do hope it'll stay as true as possible to the concept I put on the left pic. (link) Also, looks like people understand my disappointment, as the tweet is blowing up.
🗨️ Quote of the week
Škoda CEO Thomas Schäfer on an Autogazette.de interview:
Of course, the PHEV is important for fleets, which is why we are also making such an offer for the Octavia and Superb, but other vehicles will not follow suit. It doesn’t make sense to us. Our future is the pure electric car.
This newsletter went out to 1398 members.
You can ☕ buy me a coffee to add zap to my writing to keep me going. ⚡ The latest contributor is MarttiR. Thank you! 💚